Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Writing

Have you ever been mentally blocked? Are you sitting at your computer, pretending to tap out words on your keyboard but still wondering what you're going to write about? Yup, that's me.

The terrifying, overwhelming writer's block has decided to pay me a much anticipated visit. But should I blame it for my inability to craft real, intelligible words and phrases? Of course not. I'm at fault here. 

I'm blocked because I'm a perfectionist. I can't embrace "good enough" because I'm striving for excellence. That's not happening right now. It won't happen unless I practice and study the craft extensively, passionately, and meticulously. It takes roughly 10,000 hours to become an expert, so how do I get better at writing? I write. 

I once read that good writing takes time, and it's true. Don't expect to become a talented writer overnight. That doesn't happen in real life. Sure, you may have been born with writing genes, but unless you put them to use, they will only be diverted into fields of inactivity. We are all born with a special talent, but it is our job to rouse it from hibernation. It's similar to baking bread. We knead the dough to give it shape, texture, and appeal, right? Well, if we don't take the time to mold our raw talent into a gift, we will never be fully aware of our potential.

So, what are you waiting for? Write!

No comments:

Post a Comment