Saturday, January 25, 2014

Cat Charmed

I am alarmingly in love with my cats. I don't mean the "butterflies-in-your-stomach-as-your-crush-approaches" love. I'm talking about the "I-want-to-squeeze-all-furry-things" love. I'm on the way to becoming a spinster whose only companionship comes in the form of cats. No, not really.

I don't know what is it about cats that's hurled me into a tunnel of obsession. I wonder if they have the ability to release chemicals that make humans fall in love with them. Maybe so.

You know how good girls like bad boys? Well, humans like cats. Cats are the bad boys every human dreams of. They are assholes, narcissistic, vain, egocentric, and just about every other adjective that describes one's own sense of importance. Welcome to the world of cats where you're nothing more than a large, non-hostile cat whose only purpose is to feed and pet the smaller, hostile cat.

My cats entered my life eight years ago; I haven't been the same since. The last traces of my former self have been washed away like a mound in the sand. I share in the pain of other cat owners, for our world revolves around the well-being of our cats. I don't exist anymore. I'm not real. My cats have cast a spell on me and I've no mind of my own. I'm captivated by their feline charm and always will be.

Each time they meow, purr, or knead a little part of me devotes itself to ensuring their safety and happiness. My cats "charm-meowed" me and I became their little minion. Ugh!

Dogs aren't nearly as interesting. Sorry.



No comments:

Post a Comment