Monday, January 20, 2014

The Art of Chaos

Making subscribers fall in love with your blog is hard. Making subscribers leave comments is even harder. But making subscribers fall in love with and leave comments on your blog is success. Thus far, I have had no success. Zero. Nada. Nothing. I've depleted the dust of Fortuna.

Why? Simple. My blog is chaotic; it lacks cohesion. That is to say that I focus on a wide range of topics when I should be focusing on one--my niche. I like to believe that my blog is a representation of my disorganized thoughts, cluttered mind, and a lack of writing direction. I'm on a road with no car or a sense of control. The reason I even undertook this task is because (1) I can't graduate unless I complete it and (2) I must practice the craft to which I am planning to dedicate a generous portion of my life--writing.

This blog is an examination; it is not only testing my level of commitment to the craft, but it is also helping me to hone it. I keep reminding myself that it takes approximately 10,000 hours to become a professional writer (yes, I am beware of scientific inaccuracy), and that literary polish can't be gained overnight. It takes hard work and dedication. Blood and sweat. Tears and frustration.

The first draft will always suck, the second draft will be slightly better, the third draft will show signs of literary improvement and the final copy will contain your blood and sweat transmuted into stories.

I am perhaps reassuring myself lest my inner critic plant the seed of doubt amid the forest of literary potentiality. Or perhaps I am conveying the point that my blog has no cohesion whatever. It is not so much chaotic as a jumble of word--but above all they contain my effort transmuted into sentences, paragraphs, and finally, an experience. And it is those little things that make it unique. I may not have a legion of subscribers following me, but I do enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that I haven't yet neglected the blog as I do other aspects of my life, and that's a giant leap for a gal. 

1 comment:

  1. So far Gema, I love your blog! It's creative and you are a really talented writer. You hold my attention (which is saying a lot!) I can hardly read papers by my classmates without drifting away in thought. I like your style, and what you have to say. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete