Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Inner Voice

I am her. The little voice of self-doubt, blazing merrily. We all have it, but very few can silence it. Negative energy flows from this infinitesimal voice. It is stronger than congeries of mammoths standing on the floor of trodden snow. Why do we doubt ourselves? Is low self-esteem the cause? Or maybe we believe we don't possess the capacity or means to fulfill our goals, but here's a little secret: we do. We are more than capable to climb over the mountain obstructing our path to success. We are more than capable to leap through the ring of fire and still announce, "I'm alive." Self-doubt is what kills our dreams. It's what holds us back. We want to succeed, don't we? Well, it's time to hush our inner judge. We may think we're not qualified for opportunities, but guess what? That's a myth. The power of wanting is the key to a fulfilling life. If we don't want it, we will never have it. Wanting is going after a dream. It is trying, failing, and trying again. We learn from failure. We learn from rejection. We are best able to learn with a bruised ego. Sometime we need to fall to rise. It is inevitable.

I, for one, thought I was standing on solid ground, but a simple rejection revealed my foundations were fragile. I knew opportunity had missed my door, and maybe, just maybe, I was not good enough. But I now know that's not true. When one door closes, another opens. If a window is locked, run to the next one. There will always be someone who, no matter what, will see potential in you; who will believe in you; who will look past useless test scores and grades and say, "You're the one. You can do it." But, then again, there will always be someone who's better than you. Someone who's been able to surpass all expectations and is the student model. Guess what? Maybe I don't have the perfect grade or perfect attendance, but I have a bottomless well of determination. And that is worth a hundred test scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment