Sunday, December 22, 2013

The City that Never Sleeps



Connecticut is a great place to visit, but it's not a great place to live. I'm a big city girl; suburban life pushes me over the threshold of ennui. There is absolutely nothing to do. Were it not for the unparalleled reputation of Yale University, living in Connecticut would resemble living in Iowa--everyone's heard of it, but no one wants to go there. I'm not inveighing against the state which has watched me grow. This isn't the purpose of this post. It is, however, a depressing state. Yes, it has its sunny days, but most of the time, clouds seem to blanket over life. They hover over us like malevolent entities anticipating the moment at which to strike. Oh, and it's always cold in Connecticut. Summer is gone in the blink of an eye, and, in lieu of amiable weather, we are left with temperatures below zero degree and chunks of ice.

The people are, for the most part, nice. But, of course, rudeness is ubiquitous. I like to think that our dearth of vitamin D fluctuates our moods (I should know better). However (there is always a "however"), Connecticut lacks the excitement which abounds in big cities. The spirit of life, unpredictability, closeness which big cities seem to possess is what draws me to them. The adrenaline pervading the air is almost hallucinogenic. You can't get enough of it. The blood of the city flows deep in your veins. There is a foreboding sense that something big will happen, and you wait for it only to realize that it's your own energy pulsating like a spinning star.

I've been to NYC quite a few times and it's my dream city. Yes, New Yorkers don't enjoy amiable temperatures, either, but the warmth of its denizens makes up for the extreme weather conditions--it pierces through the icy veil of winter. The city is so overpopulated that you don't even realize when the temperature drops into single digits (or perhaps I don't notice). There is never a quiet moment in NYC. It is, after all, the city that never sleeps. That is what I like. Yes, nature provides much needed mental comfort, but only for so long. Cities bustling with human activity, with ardor and adrenaline is where the action occurs.

But my affinity for big cities stem from the sole reason that I can let my inner animal loose. I can run and explore, not worrying about looking over my shoulder.

Wouldn't it be grand to just throw your morals aside and have fun? Naughty list people have more fun, after all. Also, let's not forget that the promise of freedom that comes with big cities is nothing short of intoxicating. They offer an opportunity to have fun. I don't mean family-outing, Christmas-morning, Prada-shopping fun, but genuine fun.


I know, I know, you're probably thinking that I'm just another small-town girl dreaming big. And, yes, I am. Dreams are what make possibilities happen.



No comments:

Post a Comment