Sunday, December 22, 2013

SAT: Stupid American Test

America is obsessed with test scores. It's convinced the masses that if they don't have the highest SAT score or perfect GPA they won't be able to succeed in college. Hello! No one believes that anymore. And then we ask ourselves why American education is, pardon the vulgar expression, shit.

Yes, I've been debating with myself about moving to Finland. Finland is in the highest global ranks in literacy and mathematical skills. In fact, Finnish don't administer standardized tests, save one which is taken during the last year of high school. What is the U.S. trying to prove with its standardized tests? That it's easy to hire a tutor who can help students memorize useless information which they will later forget? Anyone can sit through an exam and spew out facts. And, ladies and gentlemen, the question becomes: how many of these students will actually be able to retain the information? Exactly.

Moreover, Finland has adopted one of the most rigorous curriculums in the world. The latter includes psychics, philosophy, biology, music, and at least two foreign languages. Some people can't even spell the word "significant," let alone speak another language. This curriculum is without a question laudable. Why can't we follow in the footsteps of the Finnish and actually prepare our students for the real world? One of my weaknesses is math, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

It would be highly immature to hold the education system fully responsible for this weakness, but to a certain extent, they are. I remember when my sixth-grade math teacher had a nervous breakdown during the school year. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't a good math teacher to begin with, but her mental breakdown completely hampered her ability to teach the subject. She yelled at us for asking simple questions, talked too fast, and didn't bother to help us. As a matter of fact, she expected us to master the lesson in seconds. No, I am not exaggerating. At any rate, my math skills were never reinforced. That and I never bothered to practice. Schools should be more than learning institutions. They should encourage students to pursue their academic interests. But, as it is the case, most schools have lost faith in my generation. More and more teachers are choosing favoritism over equity.

Schools seem to revolve around standardized testing. What's the point of testing when teachers aren't going to bother helping their students? I'm aware that they have a strict core curriculum to follow, but have they forgotten that a student's future is at stake here?

I've applied to countless educational programs only to have rejection letters demoralize me. The reason? I didn't have the perfect score. I would love to tell the committee in charge of these programs that the "perfect" score doesn't define me. Yes, I concur, I am terrible at math. We have a love-hate relationship, but that WILL NOT stop me.

You want to know why kids grow discouraged? Because adults discourage them. They convince them they will never be good enough, or successful enough, or smart enough. Wrong. I'm sorry your dream bubble was abruptly popped, but it doesn't give you the right to eradicate someone else's dream.

I remember the day I turned to a school counselor for help. I was interested in taking a college class at a nearby university, but as soon as she took a look at my PSAT scores, I sensed a storm brewing. For all her education, this lady lacks tact. There is a way to say things. She didn't broke the news to me with tact and grace. No. Instead, she was brutally honest. Don't take the phrase "brutally honest" lightly, either.

I remember her exact wording: "Are you having trouble with math because of the language?"

Um, no. Math is universal. Numbers are pretty much understood by all races. But, thank you very much. I guess you didn't know that I'm a two-time winner of the district spelling bee; or that I'm bilingual, well on my way to becoming polyglot; or that I was valedictorian of my eight grade class. I ended up taking Psychology 100. I also received one of the highest grades in the class.

She made me feel stupid. Actually, my fair share of critics have made me feel stupid. This is what the American education system has been reduced to: criticizing students who struggle academically.

According to an article published by the New York Times, our "work force has some of the weakest mathematical and problem-solving skills in the developed world." And you wonder why.

I recently applied to an academic program which, if accepted, would've allowed me to get a head-start on my college education. That is, I would've graduated early and started taking college classes at a prestigious university. And the best thing? It's all paid for. I knew my SAT scores would be a deal breaker. Guess what? I should have listened to my instincts. I still had hope. Hope should die last, right? The interview went well. I bared my soul for God's sake, which isn't easy for me to do given that I'm an introvert. This program was open to all New Haven seniors. Only two seniors from my high school applied, myself included. The other candidate had the perfect score and was accepted into the program. Why am I not surprised? I don't know him that well, but if his bulky textbooks are any indication, he likes math.

People give me pity looks when I tell them I want to be a writer. I even finish their unfinished sentences, "I'm sorry. You're still living in la-la-land." And this is yet another example of discouragement at its finest. Unspoken words are usually louder than spoken ones. I'm sorry I'm more of a right-brain thinker. I'm not a people pleaser, teachers included. If writing is what I like, writing is what I'll do.

There is one thing that infuriates me no end, however. And that is when a student asks a teacher if spelling counts, to which the teacher responds: "As long as I'm able to decipher the word, you're good." Seriously? And this is why 80 percent of Americans can't spell. These people are teaching your kids. Aren't you the slightest bit unnerved? How hard is it to fetch a dictionary and look up a word? Or, wait, wait, even better. How hard is it to download the Merriam Webster app onto your smart phone and type in a word? Apparently, it's rocket science. Or maybe I'm Neanderthal in thinking that spelling is still important.

I have test anxiety. My SAT scores are far from being perfect. Well, fear not for the answer is here: high SAT scores, and standardized tests, do not measure your intelligence. They merely reveal one of five things:

1. Your parents have enough money to hire a private tutor. 
2. You can remember information. Good job! Your long-term memory has not yet been damaged.
3. You took a summer SAT prep. What are you trying to prove? That you're an overachiever? Good job. 
4. You're good at math. Congratulations! You won't be living on the streets like we, right-brain thinkers, will.
5. You want to apply to an Ivy League. May the odds be ever in your favor. The college admission officers are fuckin' ruthless. 


No comments:

Post a Comment