Thursday, February 13, 2014

Oh, My Gods

Have you ever been homesick for a place you've never been to? Or for a time long past? I have. The word that comes close to describing this sentiment is hiraeth. It is a Welsh word with no direct English translation that defines homesickness for home. But I am home--at least I believe I am. But then how do I explain this inexplicable pull toward Ancient Greece?

This longing began a few years ago, when I took a sudden interest in Greek mythology. I remember I was determined to immerse myself in the world of gods, monsters, and heroes. I was enchanted by the courage of heroes and impressed by the power of the gods. I was overwhelmed; I couldn't get enough. I bought books on Greek mythology, learned about ancient Greece, and wondered if these characters had been real. I was convinced that they were real or how else could we explain the wealth of myths revolving around them?
Dionysus, the god of wine.

My dad told me his grandfather (my great-grandfather) was Greek. I didn't think much of it at the time, and my dad didn't bother to disclose any more information. I just knew that my great-grandfather was an absent figure in my grandmother's life. Regardless of his role in our lives, I still have Greek blood coursing through my veins and that's enough to arouse my imagination.

I sometimes wonder if I was born in the wrong century, or if I belong in the modern world. The condition of our world is deteriorating rapidly.The universe has seen better days, more prosperous centuries, and kinder hearts.

I'm dissatisfied with the state of this century, and maybe, just maybe, I want to run into the safety of the ancient lands. The ancient days were not any safer, no, but they were awe-inspiring. In the ancient days, people worshiped the gods they thought would bring blessing into their lives--the gods who commanded the fate of mankind. But they not only worshiped the Olympians, they also paid homage to Nature. This seems to be lacking these days.

We can heal, but Nature can't. Now we worship a false god who has hypnotized us with its many built-in features and apps--the iPhone. There is no falser god than the iPhone. We don't look up anymore, because we're always looking down. Were the gods real, they would be incensed at humankind's attitude of irreverence toward that which is sacred .

People little imagine that the gods are everywhere, but the truth may shock them.

We don't realize that we see Aphrodite in the eyes of lovers. Or that we hear Poseidon swimming in the deep ocean. Or that we amaze, and even cringe, at Zeus' thunderbolt performance. Or that we witness Helios driving the chariot of the sun across the sky each day. We even admire the beauty of Selene in the moon. When we pay homage to the dead we also pay homage to Hades. When we pray for a good harvest Demeter answers our prayers. Prometheus defied the gods and gave us the fire which we so often take for granted. We turn to Athena for wisdom and knowledge. We fear the presence of Ares in war zones. We plea to the Queen of Heaven for assistance. But most importantly, we seek nourishment in Gaia--our Mother Nature.

Myths are man's attempt to explain phenomena and the whole range of human feelings, and once you know mythology, you see it everywhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment