Sunday, February 16, 2014

Book Hangover

I've just finished reading a book which has left me quite forlorn of purpose and as empty as a shell. I waited a year to read the fourth installment in The Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan, and, to my dismay, I had to face the most dreaded moment in a bookworm's life: reading the last word.

O, how I wish I could unread the book so I could read it again. Correction: I am re-reading previous installments in the series. But that won't do--I need to know what happens next. I fear I am suffering from a book hangover--one of many, that is--and I can't shake off the feeling that I'm still living in the demigods' world.

Oh, gods, I don't think I ever left the world of Percy Jackson. Never did I think I'd be experiencing emotional trauma at the hands of a hardcover. Book hangovers don't quite measure up to post Christmas blues, no. They're worse. Imagine losing someone close to you. Do you feel grief at their departure? That's exactly what a book hangover is: literary grief.

Most people I know have read, or even heard of, Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan, but not one person has fallen in love with it to the point of obsession. Although I keep telling everyone I meet to read it, I have yet to find a suitable partner to divide the pain between us. Where's my book mate?

Below you will find a list of symptoms which indicate whether your loved one may be suffering from a book hangover:
  • Restlessness
  • Anxiety
  • Bloodshot eyes
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Mistaking a stranger for a character in the book
  • Excessive talking
  • Roaming bookstores till closing time
  • Carrying a book you finished reading weeks ago

What to do if you feel you have book hangover:
  1. Stay calm
  2. Read other books written by the same author
  3. Listen to music
  4. Write your feelings down

What to do if you're not ready to move on:
  1. Catch up on sleep
  2. Watch a movie
  3. Give yourself a 24-hour breathing period to contemplate the beauty of exchanging your social life for five minutes with your favorite characters
  4. Drink seltzer (this usually helps me)

Should the symptoms persist, consult your local bookstore immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment